Sunday, April 30, 2006

Thought it would never happen, did you?

Ha! I have pictures, I have completed projects, and (as any hobbyist) I have new projects that I'm working on... ok, at least old ones that are straggling along. Where to begin?

Essentially forever ago, I rediscovered knitting (I took a 10 year hiatus after struggling with my first project-- a sweater. My mother warned it wasn't a beginner project, but I like a challenge! Then I burned out). So I started a bit tentatively- knitting scarfs and blankets.

Here is a simple scarf for my father... he's a 49-ers fan (bet you never would have guessed! Although, the knitting store lady said they aren't *exactly* the right colors. Oh well!) Unfortunately, you can't feel it, which I must say is much more exciting than the look of it... sooooooo soft.


As I got into the swing of knitting, I wanted to try out many patterns. I especially liked one called "Willow", which looks something like a lacy fan shape (top left corner in light blue and second from left of bottom row in medium blue --sorry there are no zoomed-in images). I also experimented with using knits & purls in various combinations... so I ended up making a "sampler-blanket" for my sister. She's at UCLA (graduating this year--yikes! I'm feeling old) and therefore the Blue and Gold motif.



This scarf, for my mother-in-law, gave me a chance to play with pretty yarn and making "edges" like the ruffles here. The yarn was a bit tricky -- it was super slippery to work with and if it snagged then it was a huge pain in the ass to fix. (I saw the deep intricacies of how knitting works, as a benefit... knitting and knotting only one-letter different, after all!) It's funny, actually that by this point I feel pretty comfortable with the process of knitting and this pattern is as easy as they come (straight knit), yet because of the yarn I had to start over a few times and really felt like a newbie.

I am working still on my Einstein Coat. I'm a little sick of the color and sort of progressing slowwwwlyyy. Also, it is getting too unwieldy to carry around anymore. So don't hold your breaths to see that anytime soon, especially since summer in NY is not a friendly time for wool :) but I promise that soon I will have something to show. Also, I practically completed a sweater that has yet some edging to finish. The pattern for the edges calls for crochetting, but I think I have some prettier patterns within knitting. But the experimentation and patience required to do this last step has been exactly the hurdle that has kept me frozen for the past few months. Someday...

BUT... my most exciting accomplishment has been my first "alone" quilt. Ok, so I made a quilt with the other astrocraft gals, and luckily managed to learn and love the whole process (plus, I loved the product-- which wasn't mine to keep and therefore need to make my own. A definite motivator!) So I started (again!) too big and quickly got tired trying to undo minor mistakes. I'm NOT giving up -- but wanted a quicker, smaller project.


I made this baby quilt for my friends...again, it was a bit difficult to part with, I admit. But then watching Little Luka drool happily on this work somehow warms my heart and makes it all worth it! It also means that I can continue to the larger project (for my husband-- that way, I can keep it *ha ha ha*) with confidence...



That's all for now! Though few things may be more important than finishing my next projects, finding and buying a digital camera might be the next necessary step (yes, I'm living in the dark ages, I know). So goodbye until then...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home